Sunday, January 23, 2011

Wow. Just...Wow

This wasn't the blog I had planned to write next, but something happened. Something awesome. In fact, I'm still a little in shock. They found Blackbeard's sword! OK, that's exciting, but that's not what I'm talking about. Nor is it the fact that Tut's Tomb is not being closed off this year, so I might actually make it to see it someday. No, dear readers, I am in shock because I have a job (Heads Up, this is a long one. Sorry? But not really) :)

Let me explain the shock here. I have been working part time, filling out job applications and waiting to hear back from people for almost a month now. I started hunting for work in earnest right before going home for Christmas, but had things out before that. Well, I had heard nothing. On a whim, I submitted my resume to a travel agency that deals with booking vacations in South Dakota, via phone (Phonathon in reverse!). I had a group interview on Thursday, where it was revealed that there were two full-time jobs and several part-times. I was told when training started and asked which time slot I could attend (I assume this means I have a job? This adds to the surreality of the whole thing).

Another thing that makes this hard to believe is that I don't start training until February 3rd, and in the meanwhile, to get unemployment (which is necessary to pay some of my bills) I need to keep hunting for work until I actually start work. Not only does this make me feel bad (because I can't work 60 hrs a week and still be healthy, or could I? Hmmm), but looking for work adds to the feeling that I have no work.

I think that, once February 2nd hits, it'll sink in and I'll be hopping up and down. Right now, the hopping has kind of begun, but I'm still in shock. Is this the part-time job I would have picked for myself? Maybe not. But it is a job, and I am excited to meet my co-workers and get going. I'm going to need to study up on SD tourist attractions though...

I think that part of my shock comes from the fact that, although I feel like I've been looking for work for a long time, it really hasn't been that long.In addition, I also decided to make a conscious effort to work out at least once a day in some form or another. That's another thing, I've had a lot rolling around in my brain this week. Most of that is my own fault, but hey, who's pointing fingers? No one (and like I said, it is my fault).

This whole experience has really just cemented in my head that God has a plan, even if I am totally clueless, and when He tells me to do something hard, He's not going to let me fall. I was looking through my Bible for something about the Herods in Sunday School today, when I discovered one of my favorite stories. And, since it's my blog, I'm going to talk about it (I think this is def. in the running for my tattoo verse, for the tattoo that I will most likely never get).

This is the time that Jesus walks on water (Matthew 14:22-33) and the disciples think He is a ghost, which is logical in some ways, I would have been a little freaked out to see my friend and teacher WALKING to me across the stormy waves. As soon as they were afraid, Jesus called out "Take courage, it is I. Don't be afraid." Easier said than done. But then Peter (that lovable, easy to relate to bumbler who is, frankly, more like me than I usually like to admit) tells Jesus that if it is Him, to tell him to come out to Him (I hope I worded that properly). So Jesus does, and Peter goes. Well, it's a storm, so Peter gets scared and kinda begins to doubt. But, AS SOON AS HE BEGINS TO DOUBT, HE CALLS TO JESUS TO SAVE HIM. Jesus does, they get back in the boat and the storm stops. And the disciples are convinced that Jesus is Christ. I was convinced just READING that. Imagine being there, the emotions that must have rolled around in those heads. But to back up a tad.

Peter, when he realizes he is in trouble,is having problems, and is beginning to sink, doesn't hesitate to call out to Jesus to save him. And in my text, Jesus IMMEDIATELY reaches in and catches him before he sinks. I love this. A lot. First, Peter knew who to call. As soon as something happened, he called. And, Jesus answered. Immediately.

I love that Jesus is there right away. He doesn't stand there and say, "Well, Peter, you shouldn't have doubted Me. I'll let you wait there for a while. Teach you to doubt My power and love!" No, He doesn't do that. The God I love and serve doesn't laugh when I screw up, when I trip or when I get in way over my head, He is still there, waiting for me to call out. And, just like with Peter, as soon as I call out because I'm sinking in fear and doubt and worry, Jesus is right there. He caught me and reminded me to trust Him, and in some ways, held my hand while we stood on the water.

And Jesus loves to do that. We are called to walk out in faith, and there is a book I've heard off called "If You're Going to Walk on Water, You Have to Get Out of the Boat." But it's important to remember that we don't walk on that water alone. Jesus is there with us, from the moment we step out to the moment we start to sink. He will never leave us, or forsake us; all we have to remember is to cry out. He'll be there.

And that, my friends, is my reaction to that passage. And a fine example of why I am a historian, not entering the ministry :) Kind of kidding about that.

Speaking of church, God has blessed me with some great ones during my life. I was born and raised at my home church, Bonners Ferry United Methodist Church (I think "home church" really sums up my feelings about those folks), while at Whitworth I was welcome and loved at Mead UMC and here in SD I have been blessed by Trinity UMC. Yes, I am a Methodist. Technically and theologically, I'm a Wesleyan, not a Methodist, but let's not get into that. There is to much to say on that topic. However, I am, first and foremost, a Christian. I don't like interdenominational conflict; it makes me sad. And kind of mad. But moving on. While unemployed, the church here in Lead really stepped up and helped me.

Confession: I hate asking for help for myself, I'm trying to learn how to take care of myself. But, after my car wouldn't start, I was in a panic. I had $5 in my bank account for another 4 days, then I would get a little more, the money I earned from the last week I worked. Well, I was leaving bell choir practice. The pastor and his daughter drove me back to my apartment, he and another gentleman fixed my car, filled it with gas, got it looked at and handed me $50. Wow. Well, later that week I was tricked into going to the food bank. To be clear, I had food. I was just getting creative (which is normal, given my cooking). But these people have really been showing me the Love of God. I've been here since July, and they have thrown open their doors, welcoming me, praying for me, and helping me.

That's another thing I've learned, it's no shame to admit that sometimes, you need help. Do I like it? No, I like to be able to help. But being helped really helps you want to help, if that makes sense. And I wasn't really that bad off; there are tons of people who have it way worse than I could ever imagine. Right now, I’ll be praying. Someday, I’ll be a millionaire and give boatloads of money in secret to people who need it. And still praying.

Next post, I might have to talk about Blackbeard and Tut, because I ran out of room here.

Finally, please tip your waitresses, tour guides and baristas. Getting tips is fun. And if you can't tip, a smile and a thank you are great too. I'm sure you all knew that, but I'm telling you anyway :)

(No Tolkien today. Sorry guys. Just worked that way I guess. That's the way the cookie crumbles. HA! OK, so it's Bruce Almighty, but it's a good one).

1 comment:

  1. I love what you had to say about Peter and Jesus. I've never read it that way before, but it's true, and a really beautiful way to think about it.

    ReplyDelete